With a fabulous 4-ingredient pesto of almonds, mint, lemon and parmesan, this lamb and eggplant penne pasta with tomato sauce makes a lovely weeknight meal.
- 600 g lamb rump steaks, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 400 g eggplant, chopped
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 500 g tomatoes, chopped
- 300 g penne pasta
- grated Parmesan, to garnish
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Season lamb.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large stockpot over a high heat. Add onion and eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in paste. Add tomatoes and ½ cup water. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Season.
- Meanwhile, heat an oiled, large, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add lamb. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Remove. Rest, loosely covered with foil. Thinly slice.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain.
- To make pesto, place all ingredients with 2 tbsp water and remaining oil in a food processor. Process until combined.
- Serve sauce over pasta. Top with lamb and pesto. Garnish with parmesan and mint.
Add extra water or oil to pesto to thin out, as desired.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||67.5 g|
|- Sugars||12.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||9.8 g|