These cute and festive pies make a good warm dessert, served with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of extra-thick double cream. Cooking the berries and pears in orange curd creates a lovely, tangy sauce.
FOR THE ALMOND PASTRY
- 350 g plain flour
- 85 g ground almonds
- 140 g caster sugar, plus extra to decorate
- 225 g butter, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
FOR THE FILLING
- 400 g cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 50 g caster sugar
- 25 g cornflour
- 325 g jar orange curd (we used Waitrose Jaffa orange curd)
- 450 g ripe pears, peeled, cored and chopped
- To make the pastry, tip the flour, almonds and sugar into a food processor then pulse in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Pulse in up to 5 tbsp cold water until mixture comes together as a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hr.
- To make the filling, tip the cranberries into a pan with the sugar and cornflour and stir well. Stir in the orange curd, then cook for a few mins until thickened. Add the pears and cook a few mins more, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan with a large baking sheet inside. Roll out the pastry and use to line 8 × 10cm individual Yorkshire pudding tins (or 10cm individual tart tins). Spoon in the cooled filling. Roll out the rest of the dough and stamp out 4 × 9cm rounds to make lids. Cut out the centres with a medium star cutter.
- Carefully cover half the pies with the pastry lids and place the stars on a baking tray. Crimp the edges of each pie (if using straight edged tins) with your finger and thumb, brush the pies and stars with the egg then dredge with sugar. Bake the stars for 8-10 mins and the pies for 15-20 mins until golden. Dredge with more sugar once out of the oven. Place a star on the open pies and serve with cream or ice cream.
TIP Buy cranberries fresh or frozen – they freeze and defrost really well. You can switch them with other berries in recipes – remember to increase or add sugar though – they are tarter than most.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||17.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||95.6 g|
|- Sugars||55.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.5 g|