We've seen a trend in the classics coming back. When you make these potatoes with care and love, you end up with a beautiful dish.
- 100 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g smoked bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 kg large potatoes, thinly sliced (a mandolin is ideal)
- 300 g white onions, finely sliced
- 500 ml fresh chicken stock
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan and grease a large casserole dish. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Toss in the bacon and season really well. Cook until golden and crisp, about 5 mins.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the potatoes with the onions, bacon and some more seasoning. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and pat it all down, pouring over the stock.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hr 45 mins, covering the potatoes after an hour to stop them getting too dark. You should be able to push a knife through the potatoes with little resistance when the dish is cooked.
Nutritional Information: PER SERVING 483 kcals • fat 17g • saturates 10g • carbs 66g • sugars 6g • fibre 8g • protein 12g • salt 1.0g
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||42.0 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.3 g|