Love your chocolate? Get your fix with this cocoa powder-based cake! With a cream cheese and strawberry top, this rich, chocolatey cake is a dream slice!
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 225 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 250 g punnet fresh strawberries, hulled
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 125 g cold cream cheese, chopped
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Whisk water with cocoa in a heatproof jug until smooth. Cool.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Reduce speed to low. Gradually beat in cocoa mixture until combined. Mixture will look curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add combined sifted flour, baking powder and soda with buttermilk in two batches. Stir until smooth. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, process half the strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Strain. Discard seeds. Beat butter in same clean bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and sugar. Beat until smooth. Add 1 tbsp of the strawberry puree. Beat on low speed until just combined.
- Spread frosting over top and side of cake. Cut remaining strawberries in half. Decorate top of cake with strawberries. Drizzle over remaining strawberry puree.
Strawberries can be replaced with fresh or frozen raspberries. Un-iced cake can be made one day ahead.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||68.9 g|
|- Sugars||49.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|