Recipe by: © Copyright, Annabel Langbein Media
I love the way you can whizz the whole thing up in a food processor or mixer to produce a moist cake that keeps fresh for days. Kids will love it, as will you!
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup light olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 4 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- Preheat oven to 150C. Grease a 25-26cm round springform cake tin and line with baking paper.
- Place eggs and sugar in a food processor or electric mixer and whizz until light and fluffy. Add milk and oil and whizz again to combine. Add flour, baking powder, lemon zest, vanilla, cloves, allspice and just 3 tbsp of the rum and pulse 4-5 times until smooth. Mixture is quite runny.
- Pour all but ¾ cup of the batter into the prepared cake tin (don’t be tempted to save more). Mix sifted cocoa and remaining 1 tbsp rum together and then stir into the reserved ¾ cup of cake mixture until well combined. Drizzle this mixture over the top of the cake to create the marbling effect.
- Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean (about 55-60 minutes). Allow cake to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||55.1 g|
|- Sugars||32.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|