This classic goes next level thanks to orange, dark chocolate and a good splash of whisky, because, well, why not! The best bit? It's gluten-free, too!
- cooking oil spray, for cooking
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 100 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup caster sugar, plus extra 2 tsp
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways, seeds scraped, bean reserved
- 60 ml Scotch whisky
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- 12 slices gluten-free multigrain bread
- 60 g good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease an 8-cup capacity round baking dish with cooking oil. To make custard, whisk thickened cream, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla bean seeds and ½ of the whisky in a large bowl until smooth.
- Spread marmalade on 8 slices of the bread and sprinkle over chocolate. Put 4 of these slices on top of other 4 then top with remaining plain slices (to make 4 triple-decker sandwiches). Cut each 1 into 4 squares. Arrange in prepared dish on their side.
- Pour custard over the top and sprinkle with extra sugar. Slice reserved vanilla bean into 4 long pieces and sit on top. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow bread to soak up custard. Bake for 55 minutes or until bread is golden and custard is almost set. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and set aside for 10 minutes to allow custard to completely set.
- Drizzle with remaining whisky and serve with double cream on the side.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||57.2 g|
|- Sugars||36.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.3 g|