Everyone loves a scone! Get back to the basics with this classic scone recipe. Served with whipped cream and strawberry jam, they're a delightful teatime goody.
- 3 cups self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 100 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup milk, plus extra, for glazing
- strawberry jam, to serve
- whipped cream, to serve
- Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Combine sifted flour and sugar in a large bowl. Add butter. Using your fingertips, rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre. Add milk. Using a flat-bladed knife in a cutting motion, stir until dough comes together. It should be sticky.
- Turn out onto a bench lightly dusted with extra flour. Gently knead to form a smooth, soft dough. Don’t over-knead. Gently pat out into a 3cm-thick round.
- Using a 6cm round cutter dipped in flour, cut out rounds without twisting cutter. Re-shape dough and continue cutting until all the dough is used.
- Place scones, touching side-by-side, in a rectangular shape on prepared tray. Brush tops with extra milk.
- Cook in a moderately hot oven (190C) for about 25 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove tray. Cover with a clean tea towel. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm scones with jam and cream.
Try serving scones with whippedhoney butter. Beat 100g unsalted butter at room temperature with 2 tbsp honey in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||27.1 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|