The kids will love you for making this one. Perfect for Easter, this chocolate ganache cake is topped with Caramello eggs and big chunks of chocolate blocks.
- 225 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups caster sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs
- 2 ⅔ cup self-raising flour
- 200 g block Caramello or other caramel filled milk chocolate bar
- 125 g bag mini caramel-filled chocolate eggs, to serve
- 1 packet honeycomb chocolate snack bars, to serve
- ready-popped sweet caramel popcorn, to serve
- 200 g block dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup pure cream
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges.
- Stir butter, water, sugar, sifted cocoa and soda in a large saucepan over a medium heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted. Bring to boil. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally.
- Whisk in eggs and flour until smooth. Divide between pans.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 50 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pans for 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, make ganache. Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Dissolve sugar in water in a medium pan, stirring, over a low heat. Bring to boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from heat. Carefully stir in cream until smooth. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, 30 minutes, or until thickened and a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, trim tops of cakes to sit flat. Cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one layer on a plate. Spread with ½ cup ganache. Repeat layering with remaining cakes and ganache, finishing with cake.
- Warm remaining ganache in a heatproof jug in the microwave for about 10 seconds, or until melted. Cool slightly. Pour over cake.
- Diagonally halve short rows of Caramello. Arrange on top of cake with eggs, Crunchies and popcorn.
When making cake, make sure cocoa mixture is cooled completely before adding the flour and eggs.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||24.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||126.5 g|
|- Sugars||89.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.7 g|