Why not give hot cross buns a second life in this Easter pudding recipe? Using chocolate hot cross buns and orange, it tastes like a jaffa-infused pudding.
- melted butter, for greasing
- 6 chocolate chip hot cross bun
- 25 g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup orange marmalade
- 100 g milk chocolate, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 300 ml carton pure cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- icing sugar mixture, to decorate
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Brush melted butter over base and side of a shallow, round ovenproof dish (10-cup capacity).
- Using a serrated knife, cut buns in half horizontally. Spread butter and marmalade over each cut side. Arrange sandwiched buns in prepared dish. Scatter chocolate over top.
- Place eggs, cream, milk, juice, sugar and vanilla in a large jug. Whisk well. Pour over buns in dish. Cover with foil. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow cream mixture to soak into buns. Remove foil.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 45 minutes, or until egg mixture is just set. Remove. Stand for 20 minutes.
- Dust pudding with icing sugar. Serve warm with ice-cream.
When pudding is cooked, it will puff up and have a slight wobble. Be careful not to overcook it.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||23.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||72.6 g|
|- Sugars||48.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|