If you're feeling like ordering a pizza, this healthier recipe is a great alternative. With basil pesto, cheese, sweet potato and tomatoes, it's a fast & easy.
- 1 eggplant (400g), cut into ½ cm-thick pieces
- 800 g sweet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 loaf Turkish bread, split in half
- ⅓ cup tomato and herb pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup basil pesto
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 100 g mixed salad leaves
- 1 tbsp balsamic dressing
- Heat an oiled, non-stick frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add eggplant in two batches. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until browned and tender. Remove.
- Toss potato with oil. Arrange on a large oven tray.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 25 minutes, or until browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, place bread, cut-side up, on an oven tray. Spread with sauce. Sprinkle over half the cheese. Top with eggplant, tomatoes, teaspoons of pesto and remaining cheese.
- Cook in same hot oven (200C) for about 20 minutes, or until browned.
- Serve cut pizza with sweet potato wedges and salad leaves tossed in dressing.
Avoid adding extra oil when frying the eggplant. Spread sweet potato in a thin layer over an oven tray — you may need two trays depending on their size.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||85.4 g|
|- Sugars||15.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||12.2 g|