Try a sweet that's a little unusual! These sweets use kataifi pastry (shredded pastry) and have nuts, honey, cinnamon sugar & a squeeze of lemon juice in them.
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped natural almonds
- ¼ cup chopped pistachio kernels
- 250 g butter
- ⅓ cup cinnamon sugar
- 375 g packet kataifi pastry, thawed
- ⅔ cup honey
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, strained
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Lightly grease 3 mini muffin/patty cake trays (2 tablespoon capacity) with cooking spray. Place nuts in food processor and blitz until combined.
- Melt butter and cinnamon sugar in a small pan. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly. Add the pastry and toss to coat the strands.
- Divide ⅔ of the pastry between the holes, pressing in firmly and making a small nest. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the nut mixture into each nest. Press remaining kataifi over the nuts, reserving remaining butter. Bake for 15 min.
- Place remaining butter mixture into a pan. Add the honey and lemon juice. Stir until combined. Remove pastries from the oven and drizzle each with honey syrup. Cover with baking paper and weigh down the top. Cool before removing from the pan. Garnish with chopped pistachios if desired.
Kataifi is shredded pastry that resembles vermicelli, typically used in Middle Eastern style sweet recipes using nuts, spices and syrup. It is also used to create savoury dishes. Keep chilled, and stand for 30 min at room temperature before use.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||11.3 g|
|- Sugars||7.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|