Topped with shards of caramel, and drenched with a sticky salted caramel drizzle, this sweet and salty delight is a spectacular afternoon tea-time treat.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 pinch sea salt
Salted caramel drizzle
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 100 g butter, diced
- 185 ml cream
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
Caramel shards (optional)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Well-grease a 24cm bundt tin, or line the base and sides of a 20cm square tin or 23cm round tin. Place eggs, oil, maple syrup, vanilla seeds, yoghurt and sugar in a large bowl and using electric beaters, whisk to combine.
- Sift in the flour and stir until smooth. Pour mix into prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a plate.
- While cake is baking make salted caramel. Place sugar and 1/3 cup of water in a medium saucepan over a low heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and cook, without stirring, for 10 minutes or until sugar turns a deep caramel colour. At the same time, place butter and cream in a small saucepan over a medium heat and cook until butter melts and mixture is hot but not boiling. Stir in salt and remove from heat. Remove caramel from heat as soon as it turns golden and quickly add the butter and cream mix – be careful as it will spit and bubble. Return to heat briefly and stir for about 1 minute to combine. Pour into a bowl and let cool.
- Meanwhile, if making caramel shards lay a piece of non-stick baking paper on a board. Place sugar in a dry frypan over a high heat. Melt the sugar, tilting the pan occasionally. Once golden and melted, quickly tip onto the paper. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then break into shards.
- Drizzle salted caramel mixture over cake and sprinkle with shards. Serve warm, or allow to cool to room temperature.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||17.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||104.7 g|
|- Sugars||81.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|