Whether a birthday, Mother's Day or an afternoon tea, this classic sponge cake is perfect for any occasion. Easy, elegant and darn delicious, it's a winner!
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 300 ml tub thickened cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar mixture, plus extra for dusting
- ⅔ cup raspberry jam
- fresh raspberries, to decorate
- Grease two 20cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Place eggs in small bowl of an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes, or until mixture doubles in size. Transfer to large bowl of electric mixer. Beat for 7 minutes, until very thick. Add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating between each addition. Beat in extract.
- Sift flours twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift again over egg mixture. Add water. Using a large balloon whisk, gently fold to combine. Do not stir. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and slightly shrinking away from pan side. Immediately turn onto wire racks covered with baking paper. Turn top-side up to cool.
- Beat cream and icing sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Sandwich sponges together on a serving plate with jam and cream. Dust with extra sifted icing sugar. Decorate with raspberries.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||15.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||70.0 g|
|- Sugars||43.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.1 g|