If you like carrot cake, you'll love this spiced version – with a cream cheese frosting, this carrot cake recipe is infused with ginger and mixed spice.
- 6 eggs at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 ¼ cups self-raising flour
- 1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped pecans
- 2 cups grated carrot (2 large carrots)
- sugared pecans, to decorate
Cream cheese frosting
- 300 g package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Grease two 22cm round x 7cm deep cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until thick and creamy. Fold in combined sifted flour, soda, mixed spice and ginger. Stir in
pecans then carrot. Divide evenly between pans.
- Cook both pans in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, swapping pans halfway through cooking, until skewer inserted into centre of cakes comes out clean. Stand
in pans for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat cheese and butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating between additions, until thick. Beat in juice.
- To assemble, cut each cake in half horizontally. Place one half on a serving plate. Spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake half. Repeat layering with frosting and remaining cake halves. Spread remaining frosting over top. Decorate with pecans.
To make sugared pecans, combine 1/2 cup each caster sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup pecans. Cook, stirring, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until syrup crystallises. Pour over an oven tray lined with baking paper. Cool.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||14.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||94.2 g|
|- Sugars||74.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.6 g|