White fish and green prawns star in this flavoursome winter-warming soup. Best served with bread, it's a great low-fat meal option that's is freezer-friendly.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g green prawns, peeled and deveined, tails left intact, shells reserved
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) water
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 leek, very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 125 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 500 g tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 350 g firm white fish fillets, chopped
- pepper, to season
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to serve (optional)
- 4 x 30 g slices sourdough bread or gluten-free bread, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add prawn shells. Cook, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes or until shells are golden. Add water and stir well. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain stock and discard shells. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put saffron and boiling water in a small bowl. Set aside to infuse. Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat. Add leek, garlic, onion and celery. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Increase heat to high. Add wine and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, prawn stock and saffron water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add prawns and fish to the pan. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Divide soup between serving bowls. Sprinkle with pepper and parsley, if you like. Serve immediately with bread.
PER SERVE 1224kJ, protein 33g, total fat 5.3g (sat. fat 1.1g), carbs 22g, fibre 5g, sodium 541mg • Carb exchanges 1½ • GI estimate low • Gluten-free option
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||25.5 g|
|- Sugars||7.2 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.5 g|