These sweet and spicy cupcakes blend carrot and pineapple with a deliciously creamy icing. Topped with ginger, these cupcakes are irresistible!
- 2 carrots (250g)
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ⅓ cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup canned crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- chopped, ginger, to decorate
- 250 g cream cheese block, room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Trim and peel carrots. Coarsely grate. You will need 2 cups firmly packed carrot.
- Beat eggs, sugar and oil in small bowl of an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, or until thick and pale. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add combined sifted flour, soda and spices with carrot and pineapple. Fold until just combined. Divide mixture evenly among paper cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180°c) for about 18 minutes, or until cakes spring back when lightly touched. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat cream cheese and icing sugar in clean, small bowl of an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in juice.
- Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes. Decorate with ginger.
The ginger we used is available from Coles supermarkets. Frosted cupcakes can be made up to two days ahead. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||38.7 g|
|- Sugars||27.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.1 g|