This irresistible custard cake is so creamy, and covered in rich dark chocolate topping. There's custard in the cake batter and in the filling. YUM!
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- ¼ cup custard powder
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsps custard powder
- 1 cup milk
- 150 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup pure cream
- Grease a 22cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edge.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time,
- Fold in milk and combined sifted flour, custard powder and baking powder in two batches. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 55 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make custard. Whisk yolks, sugar and custard powder in a medium heatproof bowl until combined. Heat milk in a saucepan until hot. Gradually whisk into egg mixture. Return to same pan. Whisk over a high heat until boiling and thickened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- To make glaze, melt chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl sitting over a pan of
simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove. Cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- To assemble, cut cake in half horizontally. Place base, cut-side up, on a serving plate. Whisk custard until smooth. Spread over base. Replace top. Pour glaze over top.
Un-iced cake can be made up to a day ahead. Store in an airtight container. Custard can be made up to two days ahead. Keep in the fridge.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||21.1 g|
|Total carbohydrates||75.8 g|
|- Sugars||45.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.9 g|