This creamy ragu is your new favourite go-to weeknight meal. You'll love the taste and texture of this classic dish that has a gluten-free option, too!
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 150 g extra lean beef mince
- 80 ml (½ cup) white wine
- 400 g canned no-salt-added chopped tomatoes
- 1 sachet no-salt-added tomato paste
- ½ x 400 g tinned white beans rinsed drained
- 60 g (⅓ cup) cornmeal polenta
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) salt-reduced chicken stock cubes
- 185 ml (¾ cup) low-fat milk
- 20 g grated Parmesan
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the onion starts to soften. Increase heat to high and add the rosemary and mince. Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until the mince changes colour. Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes and tomato paste to the pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the beans and simmer, covered, for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the creamy polenta, put the stock and milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour the cornmeal in a thin, steady stream. Stir over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until the polenta is soft and creamy.
- Stir half the parmesan into the polenta. Divide the polenta between two shallow serving bowls. Top with the beef ragu. Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and serve.
Replace the rosemary with sage or thyme leaves, the white wine with red wine and the white beans with 1 x 125g can chickpeas.
PER SERVE: 1851kJ, protein 34g, fat 9.8g (sat fat 4.4g), carbs 46g, fibre 10g,
sodium 612mg. Carb exchange 3. Estimated GI low. Gluten-free option.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||88.2 g|
|- Sugars||26.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||11.3 g|