These scrumptious baked eggs include a variety of Middle Eastern flavours and spices that are sure to add a unique hit to your breakfast or brunch meal.
- 2 Tbsp boiling water
- pinch saffron threads
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion cut into slivers
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch ground chilli
- 400 ml jar organic passata
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 red capsicum cut into thin strips
- 4 x 60 g eggs room temperature
- freshly ground black pepper
- 90 g (⅓ cup) fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp dukkah
- mint leaves to serve
- Combine the boiling water and saffron in a small saucepan. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 6-7 minutes or until the onion softens. Add paprika, cinnamon, cumin and chilli. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (fanforced). Add passata, water, tomatoes and capsicum to saffron water. Bring to a simmer, over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Evenly spoon sauce into 4 small (250ml/1-cup) ovenproof dishes and place on a baking tray. Make an indent in the centres and crack an egg inside. Sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until eggs are just set.
- Top each dish with the yoghurt, dukkah and mint leaves. Serve with Turkish bread on the side.
PER SERVE 1524kJ, protein 18g, total fat 12g (sat. fat 2.2g), carbs 40g, fibre 11g, sodium 679mg, Carb exchanges 2₂⁄₃, GI estimate medium, Gluten-free option.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||8.8 g|
|- Sugars||5.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||4.5 g|