Everyone loves a good cinnamon scroll – but why not turn it into something savoury? This cheesy offering is perfect as breakfast, brunch or as a snack!
- 2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 ½ cups strong bread flour
- 7 g sachet dried yeast
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 40 g light margarine melted cooled
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 egg yolk whisked
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 150 g (½ bunch) kale shredded
- 150 g button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini coarsely grated
- 60 g prosciutto finely chopped
- 50 g 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes
- 100 g bocconcini chopped
- Combine the flours and yeast in a large bowl. Add water and margarine and, using a flat-bladed knife, stir until mixture starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and dough bounces back when prodded with a finger. Spray a large bowl with oil. Add dough then cover bowl with plastic wrap and a clean tea towel. Put in a warm place for 45 minutes or until almost doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling,
heat the oil in a large non-stick
frying pan over medium-high.
Add the kale, mushrooms, zucchini and prosciutto. Cook, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes or until kale wilts. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the tomatoes. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to
form a 28 x 48cm rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough right to the edges. Top with
bocconcini. Starting from 1 long side, roll up firmly to enclose filling. Cut log into 8 even pieces (about 5-6cm wide). Using photo as a guide, arrange 7, just touching, in a circular pattern on the tray around 1 in the centre. Cover with a tea towel. Set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fanforced). Brush dough with egg yolk and sprinkle with parmesan and poppy seeds. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm, or at room temperature.
Keep scrolls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Or wrap each in plastic wrap, put in a resealable bag and expel air. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, defrost, wrap loosely in foil and warm in an oven preheated to 170°C (fan-forced) for 10-15 minutes
PER SERVE 1528kJ, protein 15g, total fat 9.4g (sat. fat 3.3g), carbs 50g, fibre 8g, sodium 344mg
• Carb exchanges 31⁄3
• GI estimate medium
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||7.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||112.5 g|
|- Sugars||4.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||11.2 g|