This chicken cacciatore recipe includes the delicious flavours of bacon, tomato and basil. It's a family dinner that can be served with creamy mashed potato.
- 1.5 g chicken thigh fillets, skin on
- 200 g shortcut bacon rashers, chopped
- 350 g jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- ½ cup pitted Sicilian olive
- cooked mashed potato, to serve
- Heat a lightly oiled, flameproof casserole dish (16-cup capacity) over a high heat. Add chicken, skin-side down, in two batches. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove.
- Drain all but 1 tsp of liquid from casserole dish. Return dish to a medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Stir in sauce and stock. Return chicken with any juices. Bring to boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160°C) for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked. Remove from oven. Using a large metal spoon, skim away excess oil from top. Stir in olives.
- Serve with mashed potato (optional).
Chicken thigh cutlets with skin on are available from major supermarkets or butchers.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||5.0 g|
|- Sugars||4.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.4 g|