When life gives you lemons, make lemon tarts! These cute mini tarts can be packed with lemon and orange curd for a really zesty treat everyone will love.
- cooking spray
- 5 filo pastry sheets
- 2 egg whites
- 80 g caster sugar
- 60 g caster sugar
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornflour
- 80 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 60 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- drops liquid orange food colouring (optional)
- Citrus curd: Combine the sugar and cornflour in a small saucepan. Whisk the orange juice and lemon juice. Cook, stirring, over medium heat, until the mixture thickens and comes to a simmer. Remove pan from the heat and whisk in the egg yolk. Return to the heat and cook, whisking, for 1 minute over medium heat. Transfer to a medium bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Spray 12 x 30ml (1 1/2 Tbsp) round bottomed patty pans with cooking spray. Lay one piece of pastry out on a clean surface. Spray with cooking spray. Top with another sheet of pastry. Spray with cooking spray. Continue layering and spraying with the remaining pastry sheets. Using a 7 1/2-8cm round cutter, cut 12 rounds out of the pastry, discarding the remaining pastry. Use the pastry rounds to line the tins.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Divide the citrus curd between the pastry cases. Using electric beaters, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition until the sugar dissolves.
- Spoon the meringue evenly over the curd. Spread the meringue over the curd, sealing in the curd. Use a spoon to make little peaks in the meringue. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden. Serve!
PER SERVE: 292kJ, protein 1g, total fat 0.7g (sat. fat 0.2g), carbs 15g, fibre 1g, sodium 29mg, Carb exchanges 1. GI estimate medium.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||22.3 g|
|- Sugars||12.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.3 g|