Rise up and smell the gorgeous scent of souffle fresh from the oven! You'll love this citrusy favourite that's ready in less than an hour. SO delish!
- 3 Tbsp wholemeal plain flour
- 310 ml low-fat milk
- zest ½ orange
- zest 1 lemon
- 60 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 x 60 g eggs, separated
- 2 eggwhites
- 60 g caster sugar
- icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- grated fresh orange zest to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C (fan-forced). Spray a 1.25L (5 cup) ovenproof soufflé dish with cooking spray. Put the flour in a medium saucepan and gradually whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the sauce thickens and comes to a simmer. Add the orange zest, lemon zest, orange juice and egg yolks. Whisk until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Put the 4 eggwhites in an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until the sugar dissolves.
- Add a large spoonful of the eggwhites to the citrus sauce and mix until well combined. Add the remaining eggwhites in 2 batches and fold in until just combined. Pour the mixture into the greased soufflé dish. Run a finger around the edge of the dish to ensure the soufflé mixture isn’t sticking to the side of the dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the soufflé is puffed and light golden brown and cooked through. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
PER SERVE: 367kJ, protein 5g, total fat 1.9g (sat. fat 0.7g), carbs 13g, fibre 1g, sodium 49mg, Carb exchanges 1. GI estimate medium.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.9 g|
|- Sugars||10.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.1 g|