This tender beef casserole is a winter classic, with minimal effort and maximum flavour!
- 1.5 kg gravy beef, cut into 6cm pieces
- sea salt flakes to season
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots cut into 2cm pieces
- 750 ml white wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprig basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp baby capers
- ½ fresh long red chilli, deseeded finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, diced into 1cm pieces
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- cooked polenta, to serve
- finely grated Parmesan, to serve
- Preheat oven to 140°C fan-forced (160°C conventional). Put beef in a large bowl and season.
Add flour and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add ½ of the beef and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Return beef to pan with onion and carrot. Stir in wine, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaf, capers and chilli. Bring to the boil. Cover with lid and transfer to oven. Cook for 3½ hours.
- Remove pan from oven. Stir through capsicum and zucchini. Cover and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of polenta, sprinkled with parmesan and garnished with extra basil.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||6.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||13.7 g|
|- Sugars||6.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.3 g|