Try eggplant and zucchini as your 'meaty' hero in this vegetarian lasagne.
- 2 eggplants, cut into 5 mm slices
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 5 mm slices
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- 500 g tomato pasta sauce
- 375 g lasagne sheets
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- torn bocconcini, to garnish (optional)
- basil leaves, to garnish
Ricotta bechamel sauce
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat a barbecue grill plate or chargrill pan over a medium-high heat.
- Brush eggplant and zucchini slices liberally with oil. Season. Grill in batches in a single layer for 5 minutes, turning once, or until lightly charred and tender.
- To make ricotta bechamel sauce, put oil and flour in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until bubbling. Add milk, ½ cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Only add more milk once the mixture becomes smooth. Whisk in ricotta. Season. Set aside.
- Spoon ½ cup tomato sauce into base of a 40 x 30cm roasting pan (oval or rectangle). Top with 1½ lasagne sheets or as required to form a single layer, trimming sheet to fit.
- Spoon over 1 cup bechamel. Top with one-third of the grilled eggplant and zucchini in a single layer.
- Repeat layering twice more with tomato sauce, lasagne sheets, bechamel and veg. Dollop remaining tomato sauce on top. Scatter with mozzarella.
- Bake lasagne for 35 minutes or until cheese is golden and pasta is tender.
- To serve, garnish with torn bocconcini, if using, and basil leaves. Season with pepper.
Don't have a barbecue or chargrill pan? Preheat oven or oven grill to 250°C fan-forced (270°C conventional). Lightly grease oven trays and arrange vegetables in a single layer. Cook in batches, turning, until tender.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||63.4 g|
|- Sugars||17.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||8.8 g|