This succulent roast is served with a slightly sweet, slightly salty sauce that's the best of both worlds!
- 2 x 1.4 kg whole chicken
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 limes halved
- 10 eschalots, peeled
- 1 bulb garlic, halved crossways
- 1 red chilli, halved to garnish
- 4 green shallots
- 4 coriander
Caramel Tamari ginger sauce
- ¼cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine
- 1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsp ginger finely grated
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ fresh long red chilli, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced (220°C conventional) Line a large roasting pan with baking
paper. Put chickens, breastside up, on a wire rack in prepared pan. Drizzle
with oil and rub into skin.
Season. Pour wine into pan
and roast for 40 minutes.
- Remove chickens from oven and brush all over with pan juices. Arrange lime, eschalots and garlic in pan. Roast for a further 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 160°C. Brush chickens with pan juices again and roast for 30 minutes. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make caramel tamari ginger sauce, put sugar and 1 Tbsp water in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking for a further 2 minutes or until sugar turns light amber. Remove from heat and pour in vinegar, tamari, ginger and 1 Tbsp water. Return to heat and stir until toffee dissolves then set aside to cool to room temp. Transfer to a jar and add oil and chilli. Secure lid and
shake well until combined.
- Serve roast chickens, eschalots, lime and garlic, drizzled with caramel tamari ginger sauce and garnished with chilli, green shallots and coriander.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||9.5 g|
|- Sugars||3.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.8 g|