Boston baked beans are a classic variety of baked beans sweetened with molasses. Try this delicious sweet-and-salty meal that is sure to be a new favourite.
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 8 clove garlic, minced
- 1 kg ham hock
- 1 cup canned roasted red capsicum
- 2 x 400 g canned tomatoes
- 1 litre beef stock
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 Tbsp smoky barbecue seasoning
- 2 Tbsp malt vinegar
- 2 cups dried white beans, rinsed
- sea salt flakes
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- grilled bread to serve
- Heat oil in a large lidded heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Cook leeks, garlic, capers for 4 minutes to soften.
- Add ham hock, capsicum, tomato, stock, molasses, sauce, vinegar and beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover with lid and cook, turning hock occasionally, for 4–5 hours or until meat falls off the bone and beans are tender.
- Remove hock. When cool enough to handle, remove rind and shred meat. Return meat to pan. Season. Stir through parsley. Serve with bread.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||160.5 g|
|- Sugars||19.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||27.3 g|