Roll up, roll up for these tasty treats and give your coffee or tea break a bit of crunch! The gorgeous pink hue really tops off a delicious little snack.
- 225 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 1 ⅓ cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tsp strawberry essence
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 10 g packet freeze-dried strawberries, finely chopped
- pink food colouring, to tint
- Beat butter, sugar and strawberry flavouring in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add sifted flour. Beat on low speed until well combined. Add strawberries and a few drops of food colouring, and beat again until mixture is smooth.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Knead lightly until smooth. Divide in half. Shape each portion into a 16cm log (5cm thick). Wrap each log in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Line two large oven trays with baking paper. Remove plastic wrapping from logs. Trim ends. Cut into 1cm-thick slices and arrange on trays 3cm apart
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (150°C), swapping trays halfway through baking, for about 20 minutes, or until firm to touch. Remove from oven. Stand for 5 minutes on trays to cool.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Make these up to a week ahead. Store the dough roll in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to slice and bake. Buy freeze-dried strawberries in the dried fruit section of Woolworths and other supermarkets
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||35.3 g|
|- Sugars||15.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|