The perfect novelty cake for your next party! Make it for your nugget-obsessed friend (we all have one), or for your own little nugget.
- 3 x 440 g packets golden butter cake mix
- 750 g ready-to-roll white icing
- 300 g ready-to-roll red icing
- red food colouring, to tint
- 450 g plain madeira cake loaf (ready made)
- ⅔ cup vanilla frosting
- 290 g white chocolate melts, melted
- 15 butternut snap cookies, crushed
- 200 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture
- Grease a 23cm x 33cm medium roasting pan (6cm deep). Line base and sides with baking paper, extending 3cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon all three mixes into pan. Reserve icing sachets for another recipe.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, or until cooked. Remove. Stand in pan 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Make nuggets by processing madeira cake in a food processor to fine crumbs. Stir crumbs into half the frosting in a bowl. Shape level tablespoons into ‘nuggets’. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Dip ‘nuggets’ in chocolate, then coat in biscuits. Refrigerate.
- To make butter cream, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar at a time until smooth.
- Trim top of cake to sit flat. Cut in half crossways. On a cake board, sandwich cakes together with 1/3 cup butter cream. Spread remaining over top and side. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Knead 150g of the white icing until smooth. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Cut a 15cm x 22cm rectangle for the ‘lid’. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Knead remaining white icing and scraps until smooth. Roll out between baking paper until large enough to cover cake (about 35cm x 45cm rectangle). Lift onto cake. Smooth top and sides. Trim base.
- Knead and roll out 100g of red icing as in Step 8. Using 6.5cm number cutters, cut out
person’s age. Using 2.5cm letter cutters, cut out letters as pictured. Reserve scraps.
- Knead remaining red icingand scraps until smooth. Roll out half between baking paper into a 9cm x 22cm rectangle. Cut into six 1.5cm-wide strips.
- Roll out remaining half into a 16cm x 16cm square. Cut into nine 1.5cm-wide strips. Cut five strips in half crossways. Use water to stick strips, letters and numbers onto ‘box’ and ‘lid’.
- Make sauce by tinting remaining frosting red. Place in a cup on cake board.
- Arrange nuggets on cake. Place ‘lid’ on top.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||159.9 g|
|- Sugars||128.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.5 g|