Your party will be the best in the universe with these gorgeous, starry cupcakes.
- 440 g packet chocolate cake mix
- blue sprinkles, to decorate
- white sugar pearls
- blue and white sugar star sprinkles
- 375 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
- 1 Tbsp milk
- food colouring paste (black, violet, and blue), to tint
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases
- Prepare cake mix according to packet directions, reserving icing sachet for another use. Divide evenly among paper cases.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Beat in milk.
- Divide frosting evenly among three bowls. Tint one quantity dark grey using black gel, one quantity purple using violet gel and remaining quantity blue.
- Alternately spoon all frostings into one piping bag fitted with a 15mm star nozzle. Twist top.
- Pipe onto cupcakes in a spiral pattern, starting from outer edge. Decorate with sprinkles, cachous and stars.
Sprinkles, cachous and candy stars are available in the cake decorating section of major supermarkets. If using a planetary mixer, use the whisk attachment to make cupcakes.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||16.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||66.5 g|
|- Sugars||55.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.3 g|