It's a jungle out there, but you can bring the party to your own house with this exceptional cake! Explore the possibilities…
- 4 x 440 g packs golden butter cake mix
- ½ x 240 g packet licorice straps
- 150 g packet miniature Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- 2 x 100 g packets ready-to-roll green icing
- toy animals, to decorate
- 400 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar mixture
- yellow food colouring gel
- Grease a 22cm and two x 18cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides of pans with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions, reserving icing sachets for another use. Spoon two mixes into large pan and two mixes into smaller pans. Smooth tops.
- Place all cakes in a moderately slow oven (160C). Cook large cake for about 1 hour, 25 minutes and small cakes for 55 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand for in pans for 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Beat in sugar, 1⁄2 cup at a time, until smooth. Transfer half to a separate bowl and tint yellow with gel.
- Trim top of cakes to sit flat. Invert large cake onto a cake board. Spread top and side with
white frosting. Invert one small cake on top. Spread with 1⁄4 cup yellow frosting. Invert remaining cake on top. Spread remaining yellow frosting over top and side of small cakes.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut licorice into zebra-pattern lengths, as pictured. Arrange on white frosting. Cut peanut butter cups in half horizontally. Gently press into yellow frosting, cut side facing out.
- Reserve 50g icing. Knead remaining icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using a 5cm leaf cutter and 4cm leaf cutter, cut out shapes. Mark veins on leaves.
- To make grass, use a garlic press to squeeze out pieces of reserved icing. Run a knife along press to remove. Arrange grass, leaves and figurines on cake.
Leaf cutters are available from specialty cake decorating shops. Ready-to-roll icing, also known as fondant, is available from major supermarkets or cake decorating stores.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||62.5 g|
|- Sugars||50.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.1 g|