Tempt your tastebuds with this luscious leg of lamb, beautifully served with a moreish pomegranate salsa…
- 1 kg butterflied leg of lamb
- 2 Tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 1 heaped Tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 2 Tbsp lightly crushed coriander seeds
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for cooking
- sea salt flakes and pepper
For the pomegranate salsa
- 200 g pomegranate seeds
- ½ cucumber, finely diced (to the same size as pomegranate seeds)
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 8 large mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Remove the lamb from the refrigerator 20 minutes before you intend to marinate it and ensure it is splayed open and as flat as possible, so that the meat cooks evenly. If there are any sides with much thicker meat, use a small knife to make incisions to open them up and flatten these sides as evenly as possible.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl to make a marinade, seasoning generously with salt and pepper. Rub the marinade all over the butterflied lamb leg and really work it in. Cover with clingfilm and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator, if preferred. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan), Gas Mark 7. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Drizzle a little olive oil into a large frying pan set over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, place the marinated lamb in the pan with the skin side facing down. Seal the lamb on all sides until nice and brown, without letting it blacken or burn. It should have a nice crust in about 10 minutes. Transfer the lamb to the prepared baking tray and roast for 15–20 minutes, depending on how you like your meat cooked. I like it very pink and juicy, but if you prefer medium or well done, leave it in for a further 5–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl, stir well and set aside.
- Leave the lamb to rest, covered with kitchen foil, for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the salsa.
This recipe is an extract from Feasts by Sabrina Ghayour (published by Hachette Australia, RRP $39.99) available in stores nationally.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||14.0 g|
|- Sugars||11.5 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|