Making couscous yourself might seem over the top but it's easy and the taste is worth the effort! Top it with smoked trout.
- 500 g semolina
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ½ cup pitted olives, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 12 sage leaves, sliced
- 1 ½ cups mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- juice 1 lemon, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 hot smoked rainbow trout (whole), flaked
- 1 bunch basil, leaves torn
- Combine semolina and salt in a large bowl. Pour 1⁄2 cup water into a spray bottle and begin spraying semolina, stirring with fingers between each addition of water. Stop spraying when a crumbly mixture forms (you may not need all the water). Sieve through a colander to remove any oversized pieces. Return to bowl.
- Put bowl in a steamer basket set over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent clumping. Spread out couscous on a tray to cool. Bring stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over a medium- high heat. Add couscous, cook for 5 minutes then cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff up grains with a fork.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add onion, olives, garlic, anchovy and sage. Cook for 3 minutes then add tomatoes and cook until they just begin to soften. Mix in juice then fold through couscous along with trout and basil. Serve with extra lemon, if using.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||4.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||92.5 g|
|- Sugars||3.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||8.2 g|