We love that this recipe is a little sweet. Your guests will be pleasantly surprised about the candied taste in this savoury stunner!
- 1.2 kg tomahawk steak or boneless beef rib eye steak (thickly cut)
- 2 tsp celery salt
- sea salt flakes and pepper to season
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 eschallots, very finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- seeds of 3 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 cup brandy
- 500 ml beef stock
- 300 ml cooking cream
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- roasted vegetables, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan- forced (240°C conventional). Set a flame-proof baking dish over a medium heat. Rub steak with celery salt and pepper, then drizzle with 1⁄2 of the oil. Put steak on its outer edge in baking dish and cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, then cook for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to oven and bake, turning once, for 10 minutes or until medium (internal temp is 62°C when tested with a meat thermometer). Set aside to rest.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Cook eschalots, garlic, bay and cardamom for 15 minutes or until well softened. Add sugar, cook briefly then pour in brandy and boil until reduced by 1⁄2. Add stock, cream and vinegar, bring back to the boil then simmer until reduced to 2 cups.
- Combine flour and butter in a small bowl. Whisk into the simmering sauce. Season. Carve steak at the table and serve with roasted vegetables and brandy gravy
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||34.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||16.6 g|
|- Sugars||9.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.0 g|