Get your garden party started the right way with these elegant, but very simple, savoury cones.
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- sea-salt flakes and black pepper to season
- 400 g canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 150 g smoked chicken breast fillets, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- ¼ cup aioli
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, finely chopped
- ½ bunch fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- edible flowers to garnish
- Mix flour and 2 tablespoons of water together in a small bowl. Cut spring roll sheets diagonally in half. Wrap a piece around a lightly-oiled 12cm cream horn mould, sealing the edge with a little flour paste. Place a second horn over the pastry to encase. Repeat to make 3 more.
- Pour oil into a large saucepan until 5cm deep. Heat to 180°C on a cook’s thermometer or until a cube of bread turns golden in 30 seconds. Deep-fry cones in 4 batches for 1–2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove horns. Drain cones on paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put cannellini beans in a large bowl. Using the back of a large spoon crush beans. Add chicken, onion, celery, aioli, walnuts and tarragon. Mix well.
- Using a small spoon, fill cones with chicken salad just before serving. Garnish with edible flowers.
• You’ll find cream horn moulds online and at kitchenware shops.
• Make cones up to 2 days ahead of time. Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||20.0 g|
|- Sugars||1.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.3 g|