Go on, treat yourself. This cake is light as a feather! Entice your family and friends with this utterly divine dessert.
- ¾ cup plain flour
- 1 ½ cup caster sugar
- 10 free-range egg whites, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- icing sugar mixture, to serve
- aerosol whipped cream, to serve
- 670 g jar morello glacé cherries
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- Sift flour and ½ cup of the sugar onto a sheet of baking paper. Repeat three times. Set aside.
- Place egg whites, vanilla and tartar in a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on a high speed until soft peaks form. Reduce speed to medium. Gradually add remaining sugar 1 tblsp at a time, beating between additions until thick and glossy.
- Add flour mixture to egg white mixture. Gently fold until combined. Spoon into an ungreased 23cm loose-base angel food cake pan. Smooth over the top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven. Invert pan immediately onto a bench. Leave cake to cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, make sauce. Drain cherries through a sieve over a saucepan. Set cherries aside. Add sugar and cornflour blended with water to juice in pan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, stirring until thickened. Pour into a heatproof bowl. Stir in cherries. Cool.
- Remove cake by running a palette knife around inside edge of pan to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate. Lift off side. Loosen base with a knife. Remove
- Just before serving, dust cake with sifted icing sugar. Serve with cold sauce.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||68.1 g|
|- Sugars||59.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.4 g|