The rich, sweet Greek dessert pastry made of layers of filo filled with chopped nuts and covered in honey syrup is now a cheesecake…
- 12 filo pastry sheets
- 75 g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- ½ cup unsalted pistachios
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- 500 g cream cheese, chopped, room temperature
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 2 cups Greek yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 3 eggs
- finely chopped pistachios, almonds and walnuts, to decorate
- 1 cup honey
- ⅔ cup orange juice
- Invert the base of a 24cm round springform pan (base measures 22cm). Grease base and side. Line base with baking paper. Place on an oven tray.
- Layer half the pastry sheets together, brushing in between each sheet with butter. Press into prepared pan to line base and two opposite sides, allowing excess to overhang. Repeat layering with remaining pastry and butter. Press into pan at the opposite angle. Using kitchen scissors, trim excess to edge of pan. Line with a piece of baking paper. Fill with dried beans or rice.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove paper and beans.
- Meanwhile, make syrup. Stir honey into juice in a medium saucepan over a low heat. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 5 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup. Remove. Cool to room temperature.
- Process nuts and spice in a food processor until finely chopped. Combine with ½ cup of the syrup in a bowl. Spread over base of pastry case.
- Process cheese, sugar, cornflourand rind in same, clean food processor until smooth. Add yoghurt. Process until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, processing until combined. Pour into pan.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 50 minutes, or until just set. Filling should still wobble. Turn off oven. Cool completely in oven with door ajar. Refrigerate until cold.
- To decorate, top with extra nuts. Serve with extra yoghurt. Drizzle over half the remaining syrup, serving the rest separately.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||29.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||86.4 g|
|- Sugars||52.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||3.5 g|