It's a classic for a reason! Dig in to this traditional fruit cake, and you can make it pretty by adding a coloured ribbon. Delish and gorgeous!
- 670 g jar morello cherries in syrup
- 1 kg dried mixed fruit
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp cherry jam
- 2 Tbsp brandy, plus extra
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ⅔ cups plain flour
- ⅓ cup self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ribbon to decorate
- Grease a 20cm square x 8cm deep cake pan. Line base and sides with three layers of baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- Drain cherries, reserving syrup. Combine cherries and ¼ cup of the syrup in a stockpot with fruit, butter, sugar, jam and brandy. Stir over a medium heat until butter is melted. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in eggs then combined sifted flours and soda. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth over the top.
- Cook in a slow oven (150C) for 1 hour. Cover top loosely with foil. Cook for a further 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes until a skewer in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Brush extra brandy over hot cake. Cover with foil. Wrap cake in pan in a clean tea towel. Cool completely.
- Place remaining syrup in a large saucepan. Bring to boil. Boil for about 5 minutes, or until reduced to ¼ cup. Remove. Cool.
- Remove cake from pan. Brush top with glaze.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||13.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||137.6 g|
|- Sugars||94.3 g|
|Dietary fibre||9.4 g|