An American-style salad to really get your summer barbecue started
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 baby cos lettuce, trimmed, torn
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely shredded
- 200 g punnet medley tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup green olives stuffed with pimento, halved crossways
- ½ x 230 g bag white corn tortillas, broken into pieces
- 2 avocados, chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine onion, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Cover. Stand for 10 minutes. Strain onions over a jug, reserving liquid.
- To make dressing, combine oil and coriander in a blender. Add reserved onion liquid. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine lettuce, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, olives, tortilla strips and onions in a large serving bowl. Pour over half the dressing. Toss to combine. Top with avocados.
- Serve salad with remaining dressing.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||17.1 g|
|- Sugars||8.8 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.8 g|