Be inspired! Wow your guests with this delicious masterpiece...
- 7.5 kg cooked whole leg ham
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- watercress sprigs
- fresh pineapple, cut into wedges
- banana leaf to garnish
- 1 ½ cups ginger marmalade
- 2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- ⅓ cup wholegrain mustard
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 pinches dried chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make glaze, combine all ingredients in a large saucepan over a high heat. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until thickened (reduced to about to 3 cups). Remove. Cool. Transfer half the glaze to a bowl. Refrigerate, covered until ready to serve.
- Make a zigzag decorative cut through ham rind, about 10cm from shank end of leg. To remove rind, run thumb around edge of rind, just under skin. Carefully, pull rind away from the fat, starting from the widest edge of ham, up to the decorative cut.
- Using a very sharp knife, carefully make shallow cuts across the ham fat, about 1cm apart. Don’t cut all the way through the fat or it will spread when exposed to the heat.
- Wrap shank end of ham in foil. Place ham in an extra large roasting pan lined with baking paper. Brush with 1 cup of the remaining glaze.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for 30 minutes, carefully brushing glaze from the base of pan together with a ¼ cup of the remaining glaze over ham halfway through cooking.
- Remove ham. Repeat brushing with glaze from base of pan and remaining ¼ cup glaze.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes, or until caramelised. Remove. Set aside to cool slightly.
- To serve, heat reserved glaze in a small saucepan over a low heat until warm. Stir in finely chopped pineapple. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Transfer warm ham to a platter with watercress and pineapple wedges. Tie shank end in a strip of banana leaf with string. Serve with pineapple glaze.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||19.6 g|
|Total carbohydrates||29.5 g|
|- Sugars||25.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.9 g|