This roast pork loin recipe comes complete with perfectly crispy crackling. The crunchy apple and macadamia stuffing cups add a bit of Australian flavour.
- 2 kg rolled pork loin, rind scored, at 1cm intervals
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sea salt flakes
- apple sauce, to serve
- micro herbs, to garnish
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100 g sliced thinly sliced mild pancetta, chopped
- 50 g butter, chopped
- 3 Pink Lady apples, quartered, cored, cut into 1cm cubes
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ cup chopped salted roasted macadamia nuts
- 7 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place pork on a tray. Refrigerate overnight, uncovered, so rind will dry out.
- Rub oil and salt over pork, making sure it penetrates the scores. Place on a roasting rack in a large roasting pan.
- Cook in a very hot oven (240C) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until rind has blistered. Reduce heat to moderate (180C). Cook for a further 1 hour, or until juices run clear when tested with a skewer. Remove. Rest pork, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the stuffing cups. 5 Grease a 12-hole muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity). Line bases with baking paper.
- Cook onion and pancetta in butter in a large frying pan over a medium to high heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft. Add apples, sage, mustard and 1⁄4 cup water. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes, or until just tender.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Place about a heaped 1/3 cup of mixture into each pan hole. Press down firmly.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 minutes, or until golden. Stand for 5 minutes. Loosen edges with a small knife before removing from pan.
- Serve roast pork with stuffing cups and apple sauce. Garnish with micro herbs.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||8.7 g|
|Total carbohydrates||48.0 g|
|- Sugars||16.0 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.0 g|