This fabulous Christmas roast (or fancy celebration roast) will ease the pressure on the big day.
- 3.8 kg frozen turkey breast roast, thawed
- 25 g butter, melted
- pomegranate cut into quarters
- bay leaves
Pistachio and lemon butter
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, torn
- 1 cup fresh coriander
- ½ cup pistachio kernels
- 1 Tbsp Moroccan spice blend
- 125 g butter, chopped, room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Gravy (makes 3 cups)
- 3 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup jellied cranberry sauce
- ½ cup gravy powder
- To make butter, place bread, coriander, pistachios and seasoning in a food processor. Pulse to form a coarse paste. Add remaining ingredients. Process until combined
- Place the turkey on a clean board. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Gently slide your fingers under the skin of each breast to form a pocket, without tearing the skin. Fill the pockets evenly with butter mixture. Secure closed with toothpicks.
- Place turkey upright in a greased, large, flame-proof roasting pan. Brush melted butter over the skin. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan with greased foil.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 3 hours. Remove pan. Discard foil. Brush pan juices over turkey. Return uncovered to oven.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the breast. Transfer turkey to a large tray. Rest, loosely covered with foil, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make gravy. Combine stock, wine and cranberry sauce in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until combined. Bring to boil. Whisking continuously, sprinkle over gravy powder. Return to boil. Gently boil for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened. Season with pepper. Transfer to a heatproof jug.
- Just before serving, pour any resting juices from turkey into gravy. Microwave on high power in 30 second bursts, until hot. Transfer to a serving jug.
- Serve turkey with gravy. Garnish with pomegranate quarters and bay leaves.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||26.5 g|
|- Sugars||7.6 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.4 g|