These little baked goods taste like cafe made brilliance, dusted with a light sprinkling of icing sugar and flaked almonds, they're perfect.
- cooking oil spray
- 300 g fresh cherries, pitted, halved
- 1 ⅓ cups almond meal
- 250 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 2 tsp finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ⅔ cups icing sugar mixture
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 7 egg whites, room temperature
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- extra icing sugar, to serve
- Generously spray two 6-hole, non-stick friand pans (1⁄2-cup capacity) with oil.
- Toss cherries with 2 tblsps of the almond meal in a bowl.
- Combine butter, rind, juice and remaining almond meal in a large bowl. Add combined sifted sugar, our and spice. Mix well.
- Whisk egg whites in a large, separate bowl until frothy. Fold into almond mixture with cherries until just combined. Divide evenly among pan holes. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 35 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pans for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve friands warm or at room temperature, dusted with sifted extra icing sugar.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||22.5 g|
|Total carbohydrates||55.1 g|
|- Sugars||43.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.0 g|