A traditional pavlova gets a seasonal makeover with the addition of fragrant spices and nuts.
- 2 free-range egg whites, room temperature
- pinch cream of tartar
- 5 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 Tbsp hazelnut meal
- 125 g mixed berries
- 1 Tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 150 g light ricotta
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 120°C (fanforced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition until the sugar dissolves. Continue whisking until all the sugar has dissolved. Stir in cornflour, mixed spice and hazelnut meal.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into 4 piles and spread out each into circles that are about 9cm in diameter, rounding the sides with a palette knife. Add to the oven and then reduce the oven temperature down to 100°C (fan-forced). Bake for 11/2 hours. Turn the oven off and put a wooden spoon into the oven to hold the door ajar. Leave in open oven for 2 hours to cool.
- To make ricotta cream, combine ricotta, icing sugar, orange zest and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- To serve, place pavlova shells on serving plates. Top with ricotta cream, berries and chopped hazelnuts.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||1.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||31.5 g|
|- Sugars||28.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||1.5 g|