On the hunt for a perfect picnic food? Look no further than this crisp and cheesy delight.
- 500 g tomatoes, cut into 1.5cm thick slices
- 1 tsp skim milk
- 125 ml tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
- 90 g grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 ½ cups garden salad per person
- 80 g wholemeal plain flour
- 75 g plain flour
- 50 g polenta
- 2 Tbsp light margarine
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 5 Tbsp cold water
- Line a large tray with 2 layers of paper towel. Arrange tomatoes on tray. Pat dry. Set aside, covered with paper towel, for 1 hour.
- To make cornmeal pastry, put flours and cornmeal in a bowl. Mix until well combined. Add margarine and use your fingers to rub in until well combined. Stir in oil. Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing until mixture starts to come together. Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together to form a ball.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fanforced). Roll pastry out on a piece of baking paper to make a 30cm x 20cm rectangle. Lift baking paper and pastry onto a large baking tray. Brush top of pastry with milk. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until light brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Preheat a grill on medium-high. Combine pasta sauce, thyme, garlic, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese in a bowl. Spread over bread. Top with chicken and tomatoes (see Cook’s Tip, page 57). Sprinkle with rest of cheese. Place under grill and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Serve with salad and, if desired, extra thyme.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||3.3 g|
|Total carbohydrates||20.9 g|
|- Sugars||2.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.9 g|