Use Kewpie mayonnaise – a Japanese-style mayonnaise available in the Asian section of supermarkets.
- 750 g fresh raw Australian king prawns
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp sambal oelek
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¾ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- ½ cup kewpie mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sambal oelek
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- To make chilli mayonnaise, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Peel and devein prawns, leave tails intact.
- Whisk eggs, sambal oelek and sauce together in a small bowl. Place combined coconut and breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Dust prawns in flour seasoned with pepper. Shake away excess. One at a time, dip prawns in egg mixture. Toss in coconut mixture, pressing on to coat. Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Heat enough oil in a large wok, over a medium to high heat, to deep-fry until hot. Add prawns in three batches. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden and cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve prawns with chilli mayonnaise.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||10.4 g|
|Total carbohydrates||7.5 g|
|- Sugars||1.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.7 g|