Party starters – these irresistible, Mexican-style nibbles are a real winner and won't break the bank.
- 5 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed, torn
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 30 g taco seasoning mix
- 500 g sausage mince
- 1 free-range egg, separated
- ½ cup finely chopped coriander
- 300 g chunky medium salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ½ sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Place bread in a large bowl with milk. Stand for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add seasoning. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Add onion, mince, egg white, coriander and ¹/³ cup of the salsa to bread mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Cut an opening 6cm up from the tip of a new piping bag. Spoon mince mixture into piping bag. Twist top.
- Place pastry sheets on a clean, flat surface. Cut two whole sheets in half lengthways. Pipe the mixture down the long side of each piece. Roll up to enclose. Brush rolls with lightly beaten egg yolk.
- Cut each log diagonally into seven equal pieces. Place, seam-side down, on two oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a hot oven (200C) for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Remove from oven. Stand on trays for 5 minutes.
- Serve sausage rolls with remaining salsa.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||11.2 g|
|Total carbohydrates||40.5 g|
|- Sugars||3.9 g|
|Dietary fibre||2.5 g|