This is a no-fail meringue with a Swiss twist. Love!
- 5 free-range egg whites
- 1 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 ¼ cups caster sugar
- Put egg whites, water and cream of tartar into a large heatproof bowl. Whisk until just combined.
- Add sugar and briefly whisk again.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and cook, whisking, for 4 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is no longer grainy to touch when rubbed between thumb and pointer finger.
- Still set over water, but using an electric hand beater, beat mixture for 5 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Remove bowl from pan and continue beating for a further 5 minutes or until mixture cools to room temperature and holds firm peaks. It is now ready to use.
Swiss meringue differs from classic French meringue in that it is denser and smoother, often used as a base for buttercream frosting.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||0.0 g|
|Total carbohydrates||25.2 g|
|- Sugars||25.1 g|
|Dietary fibre||0.0 g|