Poke is a raw fish salad served as an appetizer in Hawaiian cuisine, and sometimes as a main course.
- 400 g brown rice
- 250 g daikon, julienned
- 20 g dried wakame seaweed sheets
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 green shallots, finely sliced
- 3 Tbsp mirin
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 400 g fresh sashimi-grade tuna steaks, cut into 2cm dice
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 200 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- kewpie mayonnaise, to serve
- 2 fresh long green chillies, finely sliced
- 2 limes, segmented and diced, to garnish
- 50 g pickled ginger
- Cook rice following packet instructions. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put radish in a bowl of cold water. Chill until needed.
- Put wakame in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Roughly chop and put in a large bowl. Add cucumber, shallots, 1 Tbsp of the mirin, 1 Tbsp of the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Toss to combine. Leave for 10 minutes, to lightly pickle.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, put sesame seeds, tamari, ½ tsp of the sesame oil, remaining mirin and remaining rice vinegar in a small jug. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Combine tuna, 1 Tbsp of the olive oil, extra sugar, ½ tsp of the extra salt and remaining sesame oil in a bowl.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Cook garlic for 30 seconds or until it just starts to colour. Add mushrooms and remaining salt and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Stir through extra 2 tsp rice vinegar.
- Divide rice among 4 bowls and dot with mayonnaise. Spoon over tuna, radish, pickled vegetables and mushrooms. Top with chilli, lime and pickled ginger, if using. Drizzle over sesame dressing and serve.
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||2.8 g|
|Total carbohydrates||65.4 g|
|- Sugars||11.4 g|
|Dietary fibre||6.2 g|