Take a regular chocolate cake to a fantastic new level – swap milk chocolate for dark and use brown sugar for a decadent experience to top off any celebration.
- 30 g cocoa powder
- 80 ml cold water
- 120 ml boiling water
- 100 g dark chocolate block, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g reduced-fat condensed milk
- 2 free-range eggs
- 3 tsp corn syrup
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp treacle syrup
- 80 g brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 150 ml milk
- 225 g dark chocolate block, finely chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 35 g butter
- cocoa nibs, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C fanforced (180°C conventional). Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.
- Mix cocoa powder with cold water to make a paste. Whisk in boiling water and add chocolate, stirring until melted. Stir in bicarb and set aside.
- Put sugar, butter and condensed milk in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium, with a whisk attachment, until very smooth. Add eggs and corn syrup and mix on medium until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, dry whisk the flour and baking powder together and then add half the dry ingredients into the electric mixer bowl, beat on low to combine. Add chocolate mixture, then beat in remaining flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour cake mixture into prepared tin evenly and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in tin before removing.
- Meanwhile, to make icing, put treacle, sugar, cocoa, cornflour and milk in a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine. Continue stirring and bring to a gentle simmer, don’t scald the bottom.
- Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate until smooth and glossy. Stir in vanilla and butter and leave to cool before covering the cake with swirls of fudgy icing. If icing gets a little thick, add a little more milk. Sprinkle cocoa nibs over icing and serve
This recipe is…
Please note, nutritional information is approximate and based on the uncooked ingredients.
|- Saturated fat||9.9 g|
|Total carbohydrates||90.3 g|
|- Sugars||64.7 g|
|Dietary fibre||5.2 g|